Do your truck fender flares ever get scratched? As an automotive expert, many people ask me How to Paint Plastic Fender Flares with Bedliner? Well, denting and painting are simple tasks to do. However, it demands proper instructions and accurate steps to follow.
Fender flares are pieces of molded plastic or fiberglass that attach to the fenders of a vehicle. They are designed to cover the wheels and tires and to give the vehicle a more aggressive or rugged look. They can be functional, helping to protect the vehicle from debris kicked up by the tires, or purely decorative.
How to Paint Black Plastic Fender Flares with Bedliner?
To paint plastic fender flares with bedliner, you will need the following materials:
- Plastic fender flares
- Sandpaper (coarse and fine grit)
- Clean rags
- Plastic cleaner
- Masking tape
- Bedliner (in a spray bottle or as a kit)
- Primer (optional)
You can also read in detail about How to Paint Tonneau Cover? 5 Easy Steps & Ways
How To Paint Plastic Fender Flares With Bedliner – Steps
- Clean the plastic fender flares thoroughly with a plastic cleaner and a clean cloth.
- Sand the surface of the fender flares with coarse grit sandpaper to rough up the surface and help the bed liner adhere better. Wipe off any dust with a clean rag.
- Sand the surface again with fine-grit sandpaper to smooth out any roughness and remove any remaining dirt or dust. Wipe off the dust with a clean rag.
- If desired, apply a coat of primer to the fender flares. This will help the bed liner adhere better and provide a more even finish.
- Mask off areas you do not want to be painted, such as the tires or the windows.
- Follow the bed liner spray bottle instructions or kit to apply the bedliner to the fender flares. If using a spray bottle, hold it about 6-8 inches from the surface and apply the bedliner in thin, even coats, allowing each coat to dry before applying the next.
- If using a bedliner kit, mix the bedliner according to the instructions and apply it to the fender flares using a brush or roller.
- Allow the bedliner to dry completely according to the instructions on the bottle or kit.
- Once the bed liner is dry, remove the masking tape and enjoy your newly painted fender flare.
Why do you need to paint the Fender Flares?
There are several reasons why someone might want to paint their fender flares:
- To protect the plastic from the elements:
Fender flares are exposed to the elements and can fade or damage over time. Painting them with a bedliner can help protect the plastic from UV rays, water, and other types of wear and tear.
You can use the 11 Best Tonneau Cover Protectant | Review and Buying Guide to keep your truck in fine shape.
- To improve the appearance of the vehicle:
Fender flares can add a rugged or off-road look to a vehicle, and painting them can help them stand out or complement the rest of the vehicle’s appearance.
- To cover up scratches or damage:
If the fender flares have scratched or damaged, painting them can help hide these imperfections and give them a fresh look.
- To match the color of the vehicle:
If the fender flares are a different color than the rest of the vehicle, painting them can help them blend in and look more cohesive.
How to keep plastic Fender Flares protected from damage and scratches?
There are several steps you can take to protect your plastic fender flares from damage and scratches:
- Try to keep a safe distance from other vehicles, especially in crowded or high-traffic areas. This can help reduce the risk of another vehicle scraping or scratching the fender flares.
- Avoid driving off-road. The fender flares can easily damage by rocks, branches, and other debris on the ground.
- Consider installing mud flaps on your vehicle. These can help protect the fender flares from mud, water, and other debris that can cause scratches or chips.
- When washing your vehicle, use a hose and a soft sponge or cloth to clean the fender flares. Avoid using a pressure washer, as the high-pressure water can cause damage to the plastic.
- Park your vehicle in a covered or protected area, such as a garage or carport. This can help protect the fender flares from the elements and reduce the risk of them being damaged by hail or other types of weather.
You can get insight on: How To Stick Adhesive To Bedliner? Steps and Guide
If you drive a truck on a rough road, there are chances of dirt and debris sticking on the fender flares, and the color vanishes. In this way, you need to paint it in order to make it look new and polished. Use a bedliner spray to regain its factory appearance.
In this article, I have thoroughly explained the steps you follow to paint plastic fender flares. Moreover, I also mentioned how you keep fender flares protected.
Joshea Mark is a trucker with a wealth of experience and a keen eye for quality. He has spent countless hours on the road and knows firsthand the importance of having a reliable tonneau cover to protect his cargo. That’s why Joshea is so passionate about sharing his knowledge and expertise with others.
At Best in Tonneau Covers, he reviews the latest and greatest covers on the market, compares different brands, and writes buyer guides to help truckers like himself make informed decisions. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or new to the world of trucking, Joshea’s insights and advice are sure to be valuable. His writing is authentic and personal, reflecting his years of experience and his genuine desire to help others.