As a seasoned expert in tonneau cover care, I’m here to provide insights on Can You Use Tire Shine on Tonneau Cover. Yes, While it’s technically possible to use tire shine on your tonneau cover, it’s not the ideal choice.
Tire shine’s greasy residue can attract dirt, affecting your cover’s appearance. Opt for specialized tonneau cover products mentioned later in the article or, if you’re curious about tire shine, follow specific steps. I’ll guide you through the do’s and don’ts, ensuring your tonneau cover stays pristine and protected.
Significance of Tonneau Cover Maintenance
Before delving into the compatibility of tire shine with tonneau covers, it’s essential to underscore the importance of regular tonneau cover maintenance and cleaning. Beyond visual appeal, a well-maintained tonneau cover offers protection against weather-related wear and tear, ensuring that the contents of your truck bed remain safe and secure. By taking care of your tonneau cover, you’re investing in the long-term health and appearance of your truck.
Using Tire Shine on Tonneau Covers – Is it Good/Bad?
While possible, using tire shine on a tonneau cover isn’t advised. Greasy residue can accumulate, attracting dirt and potentially damaging certain covers. Opt for dedicated tonneau cover cleaning and protection products for a safer and more effective solution. Here are some of the pros and cons of using a tire shine that we personally tested and experienced:
- Enhanced Appearance: Tire shine can temporarily make your tonneau cover look shiny and new, similar to its effect on tires.
- Cost-effective: Tire Shine is readily available and relatively inexpensive.
- Greasy Residue: Tire shine can leave behind a greasy residue on the tonneau cover’s surface.
- Dirt and Dust Attraction: The residue left by tire shine can attract dirt and dust particles, which can degrade the appearance of the cover over time.
- Operational Issues: Excess residue might make it difficult to smoothly open and close the tonneau cover.
You can also read our guide on How to Clean Aluminum Toolbox? Handy Information You Need?
How to Use Tire Shiner on Tonneau Cover? 6 Easy Steps
Let’s move further to discuss on How do you lubricate a tonneau cover. The steps include:
1: Wash Your Tonneau Cover
- Begin by cleaning your tonneau cover with a mild soap and water solution.
- Thoroughly rinse the tonneau cover with clean water to remove any soap residue.
2: Apply Tire Shine
- Apply a small amount of tire shine to a clean microfiber cloth.
- Starting from one end, gently rub the tire shine-treated cloth in a circular motion over the entire surface of the tonneau cover.
- Make sure to apply a light coat of tire shine to avoid excessive residue buildup.
3: Allow Drying Time
- Allow the tire shine to dry completely before using your tonneau cover.
- Following the drying process ensures that the tonneau cover won’t attract dirt and dust.
You should also read about Are Tonneau Covers Waterproof?
How to Remove Extra Shiner?
In case of ignorance, if the extra shiner is being applied. Then clean it with a piece of soft cotton fabric. It is also true that cleaning after applying the shiner is inappropriate, but you can apply this method to remove the extra shiner.
Problems Related to the Use of Shiners on Tires
Everything has its pros and cons. Using the shiner on your tire can enhance the surface’s shine. On the contrary, there are several reasons for not using the shiner. So I am going to mention some of the major problems in the context of using the tire shiner. The following problems are given below:
- The shine won’t dry if you apply it to a wet surface.
- Tire shine is a problem to apply too much since it is shiny and tends to be quite runny in consistency.
- The solvent used is the source of some consumers’ complaints that their covers stink after using this product on vinyl. In contrast, to wash coverings, if you use water-based items, the stench will fade after a few days.
- When applying tire shine to their tonneau cover, many individuals complain about streaks and increased fabric material (such as microfiber) absorbency.
- If you have shone on your hands when washing your car, it will stain your wrist and clothes.
What is the Best Tonneau Cover Cleaner?
Several cleaning products are available in the market for cleaning purposes, we are providing you with the best possible cleaners to try on:
- 303 products automotive Tonneau covers
- Meguiars’s Mirror Glaze Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner
- Truxedo Pro-teX Protectant Spray
- Extang 1181 Tonno tonic
- Protex World Convertible Soft Top Canvas Seals and Products
Maintaining Your Tonneau Cover
Achieving optimal care for your tonneau cover involves more than just product application. Follow these steps for thorough cleaning and protection:
- Create a mild soap and water solution.
- Gently scrub the tonneau cover using a soft cloth or sponge to remove dirt and grime.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water to eliminate any soap residue.
Allow the tonneau cover to air dry completely to prevent water spots.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to apply the chosen tonneau cover protectant.
- Use a clean, dry cloth to evenly spread the protectant across the cover’s surface.
Here are our tested protectants 11 Best Tonneau Cover Protectant Buy in 2023
Drying the Protectant:
Ensure the protectant is fully dry before closing or folding the tonneau cover.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Can I use tire shine on black plastic?
Absolutely, you can use tire shine on black plastic, but opt for a product specially formulated for plastic surfaces. Certain tire shines might contain chemicals that harm plastic. Safeguard your black plastic luster by choosing a plastic-friendly tire shine that adds gloss without compromising its integrity.
Can you put car wax on the tonneau cover?
Indeed, you can apply car wax to a tonneau cover, but ensure it’s plastic-friendly. Utilize car wax designed for plastic surfaces to avoid any adverse reactions. Protect and rejuvenate your tonneau cover by choosing a compatible car wax, preserving its appearance while maintaining its structural soundness.
Does car wax damage plastic?
Yes, car wax can harm plastic if not intended for it. Select a car wax explicitly formulated for plastic surfaces to prevent potential damage. Carefully inspect the car wax label, ensuring it’s plastic-safe before application. Shield your plastic components by using the appropriate car wax, preserving their condition and appearance over time.
This article has all the necessary pros and cons on Can You Use Tire Shine on Tonneau Cover. Also, I covered all the queries people often asked me on social platforms. You can shine your Tonneau cover using the Tire shiner but there are some drawbacks to keep an eye on.
Joshea Mark is a trucker with a wealth of experience and a keen eye for quality. He has spent countless hours on the road and knows firsthand the importance of having a reliable tonneau cover to protect his cargo. That’s why Joshea is so passionate about sharing his knowledge and expertise with others.
At Best in Tonneau Covers, he reviews the latest and greatest covers on the market, compares different brands, and writes buyer guides to help truckers like himself make informed decisions. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or new to the world of trucking, Joshea’s insights and advice are sure to be valuable. His writing is authentic and personal, reflecting his years of experience and his genuine desire to help others.