A tonneau cover is an automotive accessory installed at the back of the truck to guard the cargo. However, a leaking tonneau cover only gives a headache. With a span of time, the adhesive strip or seal tape gets old, and you might need to replace it with a new one. Therefore, being an expert, I will explain the steps of How do you Replace a Tonneau Cover Seal?
A tonneau cover uses to secure the cargo and protect it from outer natural elements. Best tonneau covers block the area from dust, debris, snow, and water from getting inside. In other words, it works like a shell that completely shields the truck’s bed from outside components. You can seal the tonneau cover to keep it watertight. Changing the weather strip is easy; all you need to do is take some precautions. Keep reading this article to get to know what I am talking about.
How do you Replace a Tonneau cover seal? Tonneau Cover Weatherstrip
A weather strip mainly uses to reduce water leaks, cancel wind noises, and metal on metal contacts. To replace a tonneau cover seal, you will need to follow these general steps:
- You can start removing the old seal by gently pulling it away from the tonneau cover. If the seal is tough to remove, you may need to use a plastic trim tool to remove large pieces without damaging the surface.
- Clean the area where the new seal will install with a clean cloth and some mild soap and water. This will ensure that the new seal will adhere properly.
Note: you can also clean the surface of the truck bed with alcohol pads. You can learn how to care your tonneau cover.
- Take the new seal and align one end with the tonneau cover, starting at one corner and working your way around.
- Press the seal down firmly to ensure that it makes good contact with the tonneau cover.
- Repeat the process for the other side of the tonneau cover, ensuring that the seal is securely in place and that there are no wrinkles or bubbles.
Following the manufacturer’s instructions for the specific seal you are installing is essential. And also, you should make sure that the seal is the right fit for your specific tonneau cover model.
What to Keep in mind while Replacing a Tonneau Cover Seal? Tonneau Cover Seal Strip
When replacing a truck bed cover seal, it’s essential to keep the following things in mind:
- Make sure you have the correct seal for your specific truck bed cover model. Different truck bed covers may require different types or sizes of seals.
- Clean the area where the new seal will install thoroughly, removing any dirt or debris that may prevent the seal from adhering correctly.
- Carefully align the new seal with the truck bed cover. Make sure to center and straight.
- Press the seal down firmly to ensure that it makes good contact with the truck bed cover and that there are no wrinkles or bubbles.
- Check the seal after installation, ensuring it is tight and flush against the truck bed cover. Make any necessary adjustments to ensure that it is properly seated and that there are no gaps or leaks.
- Keep in mind that the seal will take some time to settle. You may have to come back after some time and make some adjustments, such as tightening loose screws, etc.
If you need more clarification about the process, I always recommend consulting the manufacturer’s instructions or considering getting a professional to install it.
Where does the bulkhead seal for tonneau cover?
The truck has two sides; front and end. The front side is called a bulkhead, and the end side is called a tailgate. You can place a bulkhead seal on the bulkhead side (front side) of the truck’s bed.
Can weatherstripping be replaced?
Yes, weatherstrips can replace with new ones. Over time, weatherstrips can become damaged or worn out, and they may need to replace to maintain a tight seal. Replacing weatherstrips is a relatively simple task; you can do it with a few basic tools.
How do you fix a leaky weather stripping?
Fixing leaky weatherstripping on a truck bed can be a bit more challenging, but you can still do it. Here are a few steps you can follow to fix leaky weatherstripping on a truck bed:
Start by inspecting the weatherstripping on the truck bed. Look for any wear or damage, such as cracking or missing pieces.
You can learn How To Patch A Hole In A Tonneau Cover?
Clean the area. Remove any dirt or debris that may be blocking the seal. Tighten loose screws or nails. You can replace the weatherstripping if the strip gets worn or damaged. Measure the length of the weatherstripping you need and purchase a replacement that is the same size.
Carefully remove the old weatherstripping and install the new one. You need to Make sure that the tailgate is appropriately aligned and that it’s closing correctly. If the tailgate is out of alignment, it may cause the weatherstripping to seal poorly.
Installing a weatherstrip onto the bulkhead or tailgate is the best way to keep cargo dry and nice. However, it may become wear and tear over time. Therefore, you need to replace or change it with a new one. In this guide, I have comprehensively described the steps of replacing a damaged weatherstrip with a new one.
Joshea Mark is a trucker with a wealth of experience and a keen eye for quality. He has spent countless hours on the road and knows firsthand the importance of having a reliable tonneau cover to protect his cargo. That’s why Joshea is so passionate about sharing his knowledge and expertise with others.
At Best in Tonneau Covers, he reviews the latest and greatest covers on the market, compares different brands, and writes buyer guides to help truckers like himself make informed decisions. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or new to the world of trucking, Joshea’s insights and advice are sure to be valuable. His writing is authentic and personal, reflecting his years of experience and his genuine desire to help others.