Prepare for an adrenaline-pumping journey as we unveil the sizzling secrets of cutting bed liners with expert finesse in our guide on How to Cut the Bed Liner for Tonneau Cover. No more settling for subpar fits or shelling out for professional help.
Discover scorching methods like the plasma cutter’s fiery precision and the Dremel tool’s artful curves. Buckle up, don your safety gear, and get ready to rev up your truck’s style and functionality with these blazing cutting techniques to work perfectly with Tonneau Covers.
Steps to Cut the Bed Liner for Tonneau Cover
Before digging into the details of cutting the bedliner, know what the bedliner does:
What Does a Bed Liner Do?
Bed liners are a protective barrier or a way of protection between the truck bed and your gear. Your cargo can damage the truck bed. It can cause scratches, dents, and breakage. So to avoid such problems, bed liners are used in the trucks so that they will provide safety and security
Tools Required to Cut the Bedliner
Cutting the bed liner has no strict and fast rules. But the actual thing is one must have the proper tools and gears to uninstall, cut, and re-install the bed liners in the truck. So, the following tools will help you find the best way to cut plastic bed liners.
- Torx Screw kit
- Measurement Tape
- Cordless Electric Saw
- 220V JigSaw Electric Cutter
Cutting the bed liners is not a very hard process, mainly the process I followed. In addition, the cutting must be accurate and precise according to the measurements. Then it will be beneficial. I will discuss the whole process step-by-step.
Step 1: Take the Measurements of the Bed Liners
In the first step, you have to measure the over rail part of the bed liners. You can do this with the help of the measuring Tape. Note the measurements carefully and mark the places of side rails, front, and tailgate portions of the bed liners.
Step 2: Uninstall the Bed Liners
After taking the measurements of the bed liners, now uninstall the bed liners. This process involves the Torx screw kit. Usually, most of the screws are Phillips screws. So, these screws are easily opened by using a Torx kit.
Loose the screws of the bed liners from all points where the bed liner is connected. We have already marked the parts of the bed liner that we want to remove from the bed liners.
Step 3: Cut the Over Rail Parts
This process will be done using the 220v electric jigsaw cutter. We have already marked the side rails part of the bed liners. Start cutting with the jigsaw cutter from both sides of the rails. Also, apply the same practice on the front part of the cover.
Step 4: Make Curve Cuttings
In this step, perform small curve cuttings on the sides of the bed liners. Follow this process on both sides of the bed liners along the front part. The purpose of doing such cuttings is to adjust the sides of the bed liners under the side rails of the bed liners.
Such cutting will add an extra edge for you to adjust and install the bed liners smoothly. If you don’t add these curve cuttings, they will not adjust in the desired way, and it will demolish the purpose of the cuttings.
Step 5: Re-install the Bed Liners
Now before installing, clean the cut portion of the bed liner. You can do this with any partial sharp piece of metal. It will smooth the cut edges of the bed liners. After doing this now, it’s time to install the bed liner.
It will be very smooth for you to adjust the bed liner in the truck bed. You can do this all alone, but you can buy a helping hand for more precision. Install the bed liner and fix its sides under the side rails of the truck bed, or you can use the BAKflip MX4 Spray in Bed Liner that I use in my Bak to provide more adhesion. Close your truck’s tailgate, and you are good to go now.
Do check our extensive guide on Installing a Tonneau Cover With Bed liner
5 Methods to Cut the Bed Liner for Tonneau Cover
We’ll explore five effective and safe methods to help you master the art of cutting bed liners for tonneau covers. From basic utility knife techniques to using advanced tools, we’ll cover everything you need to know to achieve a professional result.
Method 1: Precise Cuts with a Utility Knife
The utility knife method is perfect for simple cuts and is accessible to even beginners. Follow these steps for success:
- Measure and mark the desired cutting line on the bed liner.
- With a sharp utility knife, score along the marked line firmly and consistently.
- Apply gentle pressure to snap off the liner along the scored line, creating a clean cut.
Get to know about How to Drill Through Bed Liner? Steps and Guide
Method 2: Jigsaw – The Versatile Cutting Tool
For complex cuts and straight lines, a jigsaw comes to the rescue. Here’s how to use it:
- Choose a jigsaw blade designed for cutting plastic.
- Mark the cutting line on the bed liner with precision.
- Steadily guide the jigsaw along the marked path, letting the tool do the work.
Method 3: Dremel Tool – A Jack-of-All-Trades
When versatility is needed, a Dremel tool is your best friend. Follow these steps:
- Select a cutting wheel suitable for plastic.
- Carefully cut along the marked line, maintaining control over the tool.
- This method is great for both straight and curved cuts.
Method 4: Plasma Cutter – Powerful and Clean Cuts
If you’re dealing with a thicker bed liner, a plasma cutter can provide efficient results:
- Only choose this method if you are experienced with a plasma cutter.
- Take all necessary safety precautions, including wearing appropriate safety gear.
- Stay on the marked cutting line for an accurate and clean cut.
Method 5: Seek Professional Help
If you’re unsure or uncomfortable with any of the DIY methods, don’t hesitate to seek professional assistance:
- Professionals have the expertise and tools needed for precise cuts.
- They can ensure a perfect fit for your tonneau cover, saving you time and potential mistakes.
Essential Tips for a Flawless Cut:
- Prioritize safety by wearing safety glasses and gloves, especially when using power tools.
- Protect your hearing with appropriate hearing protection when using noisy tools.
- Work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling fumes during the cutting process.
- To avoid mishaps, ensure your cutting line is straight and even.
- Smooth out the cut edges by sanding them for a polished finish.
Read this comparison to decide Undercoating VS Bedliner | What should I use to undercoat my truck?
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Method
- Bed Liner Type: Different bed liners may require specific cutting methods, so consider the material before proceeding.
- The complexity of Cut: Assess the complexity of the cut you need to make and choose the method that best suits it.
- Comfort with Power Tools: Select a method that aligns with your skill level and comfort in handling power tools.
- Budget: Keep in mind the cost associated with each cutting method to make an informed decision.
Do I need a bed liner if I have a tonneau cover?
I prefer using a bed liner because it prevents rust, scratches, and scrapes on your truck bed and increases cargo safety. Bed liners can also prevent cargo scrapes and dings. Bed liners are a great way to protect your truck’s bed from damage. Under-the-rail and spray-on bed liners are typically compatible with tonneau covers. However, if you use an over-the-rail bed liner, you will have to do more trimming.
Here is our review on Mostplus Tonneau Cover Review
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
How to cut the bed liner for the tonneau cover Silverado?
To cut the bed liner for a tonneau cover on a Silverado truck, follow these steps.
- First, identify the mounting points on the bed rails and measure the distance between them to determine the size of the cut needed.
- Use a sharp utility knife or a drill to score the liner, avoiding cutting too deep to protect the bed. Break the liner along the score line with a hammer or pry bar.
- Smooth out the cut edges using a file or sandpaper.
- Take care not to weaken the bed by cutting too close to the mounting points.
- Use a template for precise marking and work cautiously, as the Silverado’s bed liner is a thick, durable material.
- Finally, ensure the edges are smooth to avoid snagging cargo.
What is the difference between over rail and under rail bedliner?
Over rail bed liners are installed atop the bed rails, offering superior protection against dents, scratches, and rust. They provide a polished appearance but may hinder the installation of tonneau covers and other bed accessories.
On the other hand, under-rail bed liners are installed beneath the bed rails, making accessory installation easier. Though they offer less bed rail protection, they are generally more cost-effective compared to over-rail bed liners.
I explained the complete process of cutting the bed liners step-by-step. Further, I tried to design and curated the 5 tested methods to cut in the article straightforwardly for you. I hope you had a confusion-free reading experience. You can apply the process to cut the bed liner for the tonneau cover and get the best, smooth, and precise results.
Joshea Mark is a trucker with a wealth of experience and a keen eye for quality. He has spent countless hours on the road and knows firsthand the importance of having a reliable tonneau cover to protect his cargo. That’s why Joshea is so passionate about sharing his knowledge and expertise with others.
At Best in Tonneau Covers, he reviews the latest and greatest covers on the market, compares different brands, and writes buyer guides to help truckers like himself make informed decisions. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or new to the world of trucking, Joshea’s insights and advice are sure to be valuable. His writing is authentic and personal, reflecting his years of experience and his genuine desire to help others.