How to Remove Chevy Silverado Overhead Console? This is the most asked query on the forum. Many people have a misconception that a console cannot be removed. To inform them it is an integral part of the vehicle and can remove easily with the right tools and basic knowledge. However, there are certain instructions you must follow when removing the overhead console.
What is an Overhead Console?
In the Chevy Silverado, an overhead console sits between the front two seats above the center console. It offers interior lighting, storage for glasses, a command to functions, and buttons for garage opening. These functions might change depending on the model and year Chevy Silverado manufactures.
Being a machine, an overhead console may stop working for certain reasons. It requires taking apart to see what’s the actual problem and where it is. Removing the overhead console is not a biggie when you use the right tools. In this guide, I will explain everything in minute detail.
You can also read about the 7 Best Tonneau Cover for 2022 Chevy Silverado – Review.
Let’s discuss how you can remove the Chevy Silverado Overhead Console.
How to Remove Chevy Silverado Overhead Console? 5 Quick Steps
Removing the Chevy Silverado overhead console is pretty easy. It requires some carefulness. Because using much force or a harsh hand can break the whole thing.
Following are the steps to remove the Chevy Silverado overhead console.
- To begin with, gather all the needed tools, such as pliers and screwdrivers. Wear your gloves if you like.
- The next step is to disconnect the battery cable. Because in the overhead console, electrical functions such as lighting are over there, and if you directly dive into it, you will get an electric shock. So I recommend disconnecting the battery that ensures the power is not running through the console and you are safe while doing it.
- Moreover, remove the screws by using the screwdriver. Since the designs and patterns of the console are not the same in each Chevy Silverado, you might require locating the screws at the front of the console. However, if it’s not clear and unnoticeable, check inside the sunglasses section.
Note: When you take out the screws, place them in a safe place.
- Moving to this, unclip the rear screws of the console. When you disconnect these screws, you will hear the sound of the click, which assures the console is ready to get out. Hold the console and take it out consciously.
Note: Do not put much force, as it only breaks it. Also, be careful, so you do not interfere with the windshield.
- Avoid the risk of electric cables being cut. A console attaches to some electric connections, and when you jerk it harshly, there is a chance that the power cables dangle, which leads to further damage. Use a trim tool to trim the cables so they may not cause any damage.
Note: Mindful while unclipping the process. Use less force because it is hard to back it up once damaged.
2018 Silverado overhead console screws
The 2018 Chevy Silverado has a difference in the overhead console. Therefore, it has a distinct method to remove the console. To unscrew the overhead console of the 2018 Chevy Silverado, read the following instructions and steps.
- First, shut down your Chevy Silverado’s electric functions to protect you from every kind of electric shock.
- Then, remove the screws by using the screwdriver. Ensure you locate the screwdriver in the right direction.
- Remember to keep the screws in the safe place.
- Further, remove the end side of the screws and take out the overhead console for further operation.
These are the simplest and easiest steps to unscrew the overhead console of the 2018 Chevy Silverado.
You can also read about: How Do You Replace A Tonneau Cover Seal? 5 Easy Steps
Is there any need to Remove the Console to Replace the Light?
What will you do when the lights of the overhead console stop working? I have a 2019 Chevy Silverado, and this happened to me.
I removed the overhead console of my 2019 Chevy Silverado and fixed the troubleshooting. Then, I again attach the overhead console by following proper instructions.
In some Chevy Silverado, the design of the overhead console is different. Or you might have another pickup. In this case, you may not require to take out the whole console. Just dislodge the bulb/light, replace it, and carefully fix it.
Moreover, in some cases, the bulb can be removed without moving the whole console. Ensure the design and pattern of your pickup before proceeding with the procedure.
Can you remove a center console from a Silverado?
The center console of the Chevy Silverado locates in between the front seats. It depends on whether you want to replace it permanently or take it out to fix some internal issues. It can remove by having simple and basic tools. Simply remove the side screws of the console, and you have the center console in your hands.
Read also: How to Remove a Tonneau Cover? Steps & Guide
Is there any impact of the Sunroof in removing the Overhead Console?
Some Chevy Silverado has a sunroof located on the roof of the pickup. People get confused between the overhead console and the sunroof, and they have a query: is there any impact of the sunroof in the removal of the Overhead Console?
First things first, the sunroof and overhead console are both different things. Although both are located at the same place, on the roof of the Chevy Silverado, both still perform different functions. There is space between these two things. So, if you want to remove the overhead console, remember that the sunroof will not come your way.
Note: Be careful when taking off the overhead console. You won’t face any difficulty if you do not damage the sunroof.
Final Verdict – Silverado Overhead Console Removal
Removal of the overhead console is a breeze. However, you may require some instructions and proper tools for this purpose. I have elaborated on How to remove the Chevy Silverado overhead console. The only way is to stick to the instructions, and you are good to go. This guide will help you out in the removal of the overhead console.
Joshea Mark is a trucker with a wealth of experience and a keen eye for quality. He has spent countless hours on the road and knows firsthand the importance of having a reliable tonneau cover to protect his cargo. That’s why Joshea is so passionate about sharing his knowledge and expertise with others.
At Best in Tonneau Covers, he reviews the latest and greatest covers on the market, compares different brands, and writes buyer guides to help truckers like himself make informed decisions. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or new to the world of trucking, Joshea’s insights and advice are sure to be valuable. His writing is authentic and personal, reflecting his years of experience and his genuine desire to help others.