For a truck owner, a bedliner is the utmost accessory. It uses to protect the truck bed from scratches and dents. However, a bedliner can wear and tear due to its heavy duty. In this way, you must stick to something to regain its factory look. But the question that arises here is How to Stick Adhesive to bedliner in an appropriate way.
Several types of adhesives for a bedliner come on the market. However, not all can stick to the bedliner. Moreover, sticking adhesive is challenging and time-consuming. So stick to us to know which type of adhesive will go best for your bedliner type.
But let’s get to know what a bedliner is and its several types in brief.
What is a Bed Liner?
Every motorist knows the importance of the bed liner in the truck bed. It protects the truck’s bed from getting rust and corrosion. In addition, a bed liner stops the gear from shifting and moving around the truck’s bed. It keeps the cargo in its place.
Apart from this, a bed liner makes access to the cargo easy as it smoothly glides the gear to the owner without getting stuck. It would help if you learned about How to Cut the Bed Liner for Tonneau Cover?
Different types of Bedliner
Which type of bed liner is best for your truck bed? There are six types of Bedliner drop-in, spray-on, rubber liners, carpet liners, wooden liners, and fiberglass liners. Purchasing the right one depends on what kinds of items you haul and your budget.
Let’s take a closer look at what kind of Bedliner you should get for your pickup.
Drop-in bed liners
Drop-in bed liners install onto a truck bed and can remove easily for cleaning. It makes of rubber or hard plastic material. Due to this, it is solid yet flexible. When an object hits the bed, the liner absorbs the shock well.
Spray-on bed liners
Spray on bed liners applies like a spray into your truck bed, and the application can do in a paint booth by an installer using a spray gun. Spray-on is a thick paint coat of 100% polyurethane, 100% polyurea, and a mixture of both. Highly custom-made and perfectly fits any truck model and type.
Read also about: How to Remove Spray-in Bedliner Overspray?
Rubber bed liners
Rubber bed liners, as the name implies, are made of rubber and can be shaped into any design and pattern. They are highly resistant to scratches, UV rays, and dents. It is said that when the rubber gets completely dry, it is hard to see any dings and cuts.
Carpet Bed Liners
Carpet bed liners are made of carpet material that fixes onto the truck bed by glue. It will be a massive mistake if you relate it to an ordinary carpet. Carpet bed liners design to withstand all types of items, from chemicals to gasoline and the bed liner cleans by scrubbing to remove dirt and debris.
Wooden bed liners
Wooden bed liners constructs of high-quality wood and custom-made to match your truck’s color scheme. They are durable and easy to install.
Fiberglass bed liners
Fiberglass bed liners are made with fiberglass material that sprays into a mold. Highly resistant to chemicals, gasoline, and weather damage. They are less weighty than rubber ones but a bit expensive.
You can read about: What Will Diesel Fuel Do To A Bedliner? Detail Analysis
How to Stick Adhesive to Bedliner? Steps
To stick adhesive to the bedliner, you will need to follow these steps:
- Clean the surface of the bedliner thoroughly to remove any dirt, debris, or oil. You can use a degreaser or a mild detergent to do this.
- Sand the surface of the bedliner lightly with fine-grit sandpaper to create a rough texture. This will help the adhesive to bond better.
- Apply the adhesive according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Some adhesives may require you to apply a primer or activator before applying the adhesive itself.
- Press the adhesive firmly against the bedliner and hold it in place for a few seconds to allow it to bond.
- If the adhesive requires it, apply pressure or weight to help it bond better. This may involve clamping the adhesive in place or placing a heavy object on top of it.
- Allow the adhesive to dry according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This may take several hours or even overnight.
It’s essential to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully when using adhesive, as different adhesives have different application and drying times.
What are different adhesives for bedliners?
Several different types of adhesives can use for bedliners, including:
- Epoxy is a strong, durable adhesive resistant to heat and chemicals. It is ideal for bonding bedliners to surfaces exposed to extreme conditions.
- Polyurethane is a flexible, waterproof adhesive that is ideal for bonding bedliners to surfaces that will be exposed to moisture.
- Polyurea is a fast-curing, high-strength adhesive ideal for bonding bedliners to surfaces exposed to high temperatures or heavy wear and tear.
- Silicone is a flexible, waterproof adhesive that is ideal for bonding bedliners to surfaces that will be exposed to moisture. It is also resistant to temperature fluctuations.
Choosing the suitable adhesive for your specific needs is essential, as different adhesives better suit different bedliners and surfaces.
Safety Tips to Follow while using Adhesive Bedliner
Here are some safety tips to follow when using adhesive on a bedliner:
- Wear protective gear: Adhesives can harm your skin and eyes, so it’s essential to wear gloves, goggles, and a respirator when working with them.
- Work in a well-ventilated area: Adhesives can give off fumes that can be harmful if inhaled, so it’s essential to work in a well-ventilated area or use a fan to circulate the air.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions: It’s important to read the label and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully when using adhesive. This will help you to use the adhesive safely and effectively.
- Avoid contact with open flames: Some adhesives are flammable, so keeping them away from open flames and other sources is important.
- Store adhesives safely: Adhesives should be stored in a cool, dry place away from children and pets. They should also keep away from heat sources.
By following these safety tips, you can help to ensure that you use adhesive on your bedliner safely and effectively.
Why do need to Stick Adhesive to Bedliner?
There are several reasons why you might need to stick adhesive to a bedliner:
- If your bedliner has become damaged or has holes in it, you can use adhesive to patch or repair the damage.
- Similarly, if your bedliner has become loose or is not sticking properly to the bed of your truck, you can use adhesive to secure it.
- Adhesive can help strengthen and protect your bedliner, making it more resistant to wear and tear.
- You can use adhesive to attach additional accessories or features to your bedliner, such as tie-down points or storage compartments.
By sticking adhesive to your bedliner, you can help to extend its lifespan, improve its performance, and customize it to your specific needs.
Can You Use Flex Seal for bedliner?
As we all know, a bedliner expose to direct sunlight and other harsh components. In this way, it gets damaged and scratched. Applying a layer of flex seal on a bedliner helps reduce harm. Moreover, it also protects from any wear and tear to occur.
How do I make my bedliner stick?
To accurately stick the bedliner, you must sand it first. By sanding the surface, the area gets texture that helps the bedliner spray adhere or stick perfectly.
Does paint stick to bed liner?
Paint can stick to the bed liner. All you need to do is scuff all the surfaces with 150-grit sand to ensure an excellent adhesive. Note that no area leaves with a glossy finish. Wipe down the sand area with a clean towel or cloth. Now it’s time to get the spray bottle and hose it carefully.
How long does a bed liner last?
A bedliners lasts for only one-two year because it constantly exposes to UV rays, heavy rain, and other natural elements. And got damaged quickly.
Bedliners are the best way to secure your truck bed from dust and debris. However, various factors affect that harm or damage the bedliners. That’s why you need to stick adhesive to the bedliner to make it rugged and strengthen against wear and tear.
Joshea Mark is a trucker with a wealth of experience and a keen eye for quality. He has spent countless hours on the road and knows firsthand the importance of having a reliable tonneau cover to protect his cargo. That’s why Joshea is so passionate about sharing his knowledge and expertise with others.
At Best in Tonneau Covers, he reviews the latest and greatest covers on the market, compares different brands, and writes buyer guides to help truckers like himself make informed decisions. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or new to the world of trucking, Joshea’s insights and advice are sure to be valuable. His writing is authentic and personal, reflecting his years of experience and his genuine desire to help others.